February 7, 2010

international practice

Goal for the week: get as many of the New York City books printed and ready for the publishers. This might sound like a simple enough task, but it proved to be much more challenging. It’s not a matter of striking the print button over and over again; instead, it’s fine tooth combing the “G:” drive and placing the appropriate pictures, drawings, etc. in a logical manner. Once the pages are put together and all the images necessary to convey the story of the project are inserted, I begin the printing process. When I say process, it is a process. There are a lot of things that go into making these books look the way they do. The books are an important aspect of RBA. When Randy takes recent projects to the magazine editors and publishers in NYC, they are representing the firm and will hopefully be selected for print in one of their magazines.

While Monday was spent arranging books to be printed, Tuesday took a different approach. GA Houses contacted us from an earlier submission we sent them asking us to send them an interior shot of the optic Residence. This sounded like an easy request; the only problem was there wasn’t an up-to-date interior model to get an interior shot from. The solution was for Meg and I to stop work from the book printing and each try a different medium to get that interior shot. Meg’s approach was fix up the most up to date model in SketchUp and get an interior shot from it that would describe the space in a way the other drawings couldn’t. My idea was to take a section of the home from CAD and make it an section perspective. This is a technique that I used last semester for a project of mine and I new that converting a boring CAD drawing into a perspective makes it much more interesting and descriptive. By the afternoon, we had a few options for Randy and we discussed which ones would be the best to send. Just before leaving that day, we sent a few renderings from Meg’s SketchUp model and the section perspective I worked on.  Did I mention we sent them to Japan……RBA really is an international practice dealing with people all over the world.

The end of the week was a very exciting time. Since I haven’t worked as an intern in a firm before, this was my first experience with a client meeting. The DiNucci’s are clients that RBA is designing a new home for and Meg and I were asked to sit in on the client meeting. Not knowing what to expect, the DiNucci’s surprised me with their stance as the clients. I guess I thought a client went to an architect, told them what they were looking for, the architect designed them something to meet their needs following with the clients jumping on board with the design. Wrong! There were many things about the revamped design they liked, but many more things that needed to be changed. The DiNucci’s were discussing things like, maybe an instant water heater under each sink would be better than the typical large water heater in the basement. Or, if having all the ducts wrapped with insulation would be better solution to reduce unwanted noise. It was a real eye opener realizing how connected the client is to the whole designing process.   At least the RBA process is this close connectedness with the client.

The weekend was filled with downtown Omaha. It was good to get acquainted with the surroundings. Saturday afternoon, Meg and I found ourselves in the Old Market of Omaha and ate at a restaurant called Stokes. The food was really good and the atmosphere of the area reminded me of the older parts Kansas City. Walking by all of the restaurants, bars, and lounges on that street, I got the feeling that this area probably has a pretty active night life, something I would like to go back and see when the weather is a little more accommodating.

Leave a Reply